Saturday, February 5, 2011

Book Reading 9 - Coming of Age in Samoa

Chapter 3 - The Education of a Samoan Child
Summary

The process of education of Samoan children is discussed.  Much of this education deals with tending to children, finding food, and how to excel or not excel at certain tasks.  It is stressed to never stand out too far from the other peers, because this is frowned upon in Samoan culture.

Discussion
Many would view the education discussed in this chapter as merely learning the tasks of survival.  I know I am not part of their culture, but I don’t see how I could ever go along with the status quo they all seem to perpetuate.  All of their lives are more or less planned out for them, and they rarely have the freedom to explore other interests, if at all.  This would be very frustrating to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment