Saturday, February 5, 2011

Book Reading 8 – The Design of Everyday Things

Chapter 3 – Knowledge in the Head and in the World
Summary

Norman explains how we tend to keep track of information, as well the various methods for memory retention and retrieval.  He gave many examples, such as using the world to supplement data in our mind, and warned people of the major pitfalls of weaker and less reliant memory techniques.

Discussion
He immediately reminded me of how I used to remember driving directions.  For the longest time, I never knew any road names around where I lived.  I could easily traverse the path in my mind, but I could never give directions using street names, and this was annoying for a lot of people.  For everyone’s sake, I eventually learned road names.  But mostly, it made it easier for me to find my way if I got lost.  Mental mapping combined with actually understanding what I was seeing improved my directional skills by leaps and bounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment