Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Book Reading 16 – Opening Skinner’s Box

Chapter 4 – In the Unlikely Event of a Water Landing
Summary

This chapter discussed responding to emergencies.  The main example was of a woman getting murdered and raped over the course of 30 minutes, and none of the 38 witnesses did anything about it.  She went into reasons for this, as well as group tendencies of action for human beings.

Discussion
The discussion of imitation and cuing gave me an idea for the ethnography study.  When I was looking on reddit, there were some topics without comments.  I wonder if topics like these gained at least one comment if it would receive a flood of comments and get viewed more.  This tendency seems to work for websites like Newegg.com that sell items.  I always sort by products with the most reviews and check out the most reviewed ones first.  I am wary of things without any reviews, even though they might be just as good as the more popular items.  Also, I would probably check out those same items more if they had any reviews at all.  The state of the product is not as much of a concern to me then as much as how many reviews it has.  This is not entirely the same idea, but it is close enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment