Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Book Reading 24 – Emotional Design

Chapter 1 – Attractive Things Work Better
Summary

In this first chapter, Norman explains how emotion greatly affects the ability of humans to figure things out.  In an example dealing with two ATM designs, most people found the more attractive looking one easier to use.  He explains this is because positive emotions open up the mind and allow for more complex thought.  But negative emotions make humans more cautious, so design that invokes this also has its place.

Discussion
I believe I have some of the tendencies that provoke open minded thinking before working on something.  I never noticed it before though.  If I have an art project I want to work on, I find it hard to get started if I am not in the mood.  When I am not in the mood, this is usually because I have recently finished a lot of school work or I might be stressed out.  By playing a game or just relaxing for awhile, this can help get my mind creatively ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment