Monday, February 21, 2011

Book Reading 23 – Opening Skinner’s Box

Chapter 6 – Monkey Love
Summary

The work of Harry Harlow on primates is discussed.  He tried to find the true root of love and connection by love.  He used artificial mothers, one soft and one made of mental.  While the monkeys latched onto the softer one, later they became incapable of properly living and mating.  The animal activist movement spawned because of his animal testing and sacrificing of his animals for science.

Discussion
I would never be able to conduct these kinds of experiments on animals.  However, I also don’t feel like I would fight vehemently to stop them right now.  I think it is more of it not being as important a priority for me as other things in life.  Also, I would definitely choose my life or a loved one’s life over an animal’s life.  But this really depends.  I was far more attached to my dog than to other people I don’t even know.  This seems to be a very tricky moral situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment