Thursday, February 17, 2011

Book Reading 20 – Opening Skinner’s Box

Chapter 5 – Quieting the Mind
Summary

The chapter discusses the experiments of Leon Festinger as he set out to prove his theory on cognitive dissonance.  The idea that aided in this was his infiltration of a cult.  After the cult’s main belief was disproven, he observed one individual in extreme denial.  The other members of the cult followed suit.  He noted that this is how most religious groups might respond to something like this.  If the belief system is undermined, the members will do just about anything to grasp onto the fleeting idea.  This includes embracing ludicrous notions just to protect the foundation.

Discussion
I like Festinger’s theory of beliefs matching up with behavior.  I think this can be seen all around us.  For instance, if I procrastinate and continue to flee from my work, what do I do?  I convince myself that this is perfectly fine, even though I know full well that the best course of action is to simply get the work done.  That is my true belief on that matter, but beliefs can be adjusted to match behavior with enough motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment