Thursday, April 14, 2011

Book Reading 49 – Why We Make Mistakes

Chapter 10 – We All Think We’re Above Average
Summary

In general, people feel they are above average and this overestimate causes them to make mistakes.  A major downside to this is that companies can and will take advantage of this mindset to net them a profit.  Due to lack of feedback though, most people never change their thoughts on the matter.  As tasks get more difficult, overconfidence also increases.

Discussion
I can definitely see how companies can easily take advantage of this above-average notion that people tend to have.  Any time an ad on TV mentions that someone deserves a specific product, this is just catering to people wanting to think they are above average.  I have also experienced a boost in confidence when faced with a daunting task.  I think this can sometimes be a good thing, but it can definitely hurt you as well.


Chapter 11 – We’d Rather Wing It
Summary

Hallinan explains the differences between novices and experts.  The main difference he points out is the level of commitment being an expert requires.  To become an expert, intense practice is required to implant memory of many different motors functions and actions pertaining to the subject.  There needs to be a great deal of built-in knowledge ready to be accessed on the fly.  Many average people would like to think they are experts, but all they are doing is simple winging it, as the title would suggest.  Instructions are usually ignored and people will just try and figure it out on their own.

Discussion
I’m definitely guilty of abandoning instructions, but it is usually to try and discover something on my own if it seems plausible.  If not, I have no issues following an instruction manual.  This is one of the best ways to learn how to do something.  Then you can build off of this method and improve it.  Honestly, I would never consider myself a true expert in anything because I don’t put forth the effort to practice any crafts.  I might know a decent amount of knowledge, but I always feel like I am constantly in a state of learning for a lot of different interests of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment