Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Book Reading 47 – Why We Make Mistakes

Chapter 8 – We Like Things Tidy
Summary

This chapter dealt with misinformation as created by the human mind.  The title refers to details being omitted so it is easier to recall stories and information.  The main downside of this is exaggeration and our own interpretations take the place of fact in some cases.  A good example of this is writing a letter of recommendation.  What this letter contains might not be fictional, but exaggeration and fact adjustment may happen.  In a test, many people could not accurately recall what they wrote in these.

Discussion
I am pretty sure I exaggerate quite a bit when recommending someone.  But by quite a bit, I mean it’s still modest.  I don’t make up stories about someone, but I am fairly certain I have exaggerated for their sake.  I don’t feel this is necessarily wrong though.  It can happen on the fly, and usually this is done so others who don’t know the person can feel a level of excitement about them that is equivalent to that of someone who has known them for years.


Chapter 9 – Men Shoot First
Summary

This chapter discussed heavily the various differences between men and women.  Both sexes handle the same situations very differently.  The overall consensus seems to be that men possess a higher level of confidence on themselves than women do of themselves.  Men seem to have a stronger need of exploration than women.

Discussion
This was a really cool chapter.  It was interesting to hear a more technical and in depth discussion about the differences between men and women.  It certainly wasn’t saying men are better than women.  But the whole confidence thing makes sense.  In the situation of not asking for directions, it’s not solely based on ego.  Men simply don’t believe they are lost, or don’t want to.  I usually want to figure things out for myself instead of reading directions.  I know when to throw in the towel, but now this makes sense.  I probably just believe I know what I am doing.  I might not, but my confidence in learning it by doing is high enough that I like giving it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment