Thursday, April 7, 2011

Book Reading 46 – Why We Make Mistakes

Chapter 6 – We’re in the Wrong Frame of Mind
Summary

Manipulating people psychologically is apparently not that difficult to do.  It is also quite common as the author explains.  Part of this has to do with a person’s state of mind, such as French music boosting the sales of French wine and German music lowering them.  Another example is a store with many items on sale could bring in a large crowd.  Even if the other items in the store might be higher than other places, people enjoy the prospect of a sale too much to pay attention to this.

Discussion
This is another area that seems to be plagued by preconceptions and bias.  I definitely look out for sales, but I don’t know if I would be as vulnerable as to flock to a store that had them and then not pay attention to what other items are priced as.  I do believe this happens though.  Convincing people that they are getting a great deal tends to could their judgment on other things.


Chapter 7 – We Skim
Summary

Skimming is a handy tool, but Hallinan points out what its major problems are.  When we become familiar with something, we feel as though we can skim over it because we know what the activity or action is all about.  However, this is when small errors can get overlooked.  We assume things are as they should be since we assume we know what we are doing.  We might, but this is when foolish errors can be made.

Discussion
Skimming for reading can be quite handy.  But, important details can still be missed.  One interesting situation that I have found myself in a few times happens whenever I need to move my computer.  Sometimes, it just won’t turn on after I have everything hooked up.  One thought is that something extremely technical has broken.  Then I look at the back of the tower and realize the power cable isn’t plugged in.  This doesn’t happen to me all the time, but probably a 3 or 4 times over the years.  I have gotten better at checking for this, but sometimes I’m in a rush with something I have done quite a bit.  This is when such a minor detail gets overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment