Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Book Reading 44 – Why We Make Mistakes

Chapter 4 – We Wear Rose Colored Glasses
Summary

This chapter is referencing the idea how people tend to look at themselves in a more positive light than what the reality of the situation might be.  When asked to recall grades, most people remembered getting A’s, even though this was not always true.  Also, people don’t tend to acknowledge the presence of a bias even though this happens far more often than not.

Discussion
I’d like to think I am pretty honest about myself, but I am sure I have been guilty of misrepresenting myself in the past.  For me though, I find it humorous whenever I make a mistake.  This is especially true when I’m with friends and I say something terribly stupid.  I’m usually the first one to notice it, or at least the first one to point it out if it’s truly ridiculous.


Chapter 5 – We Can Walk and Chew Gum - but Not Much Else
Summary

This chapter discusses how true multitasking is a myth for the human mind.  Multicore CPU’s are one of the devices that can truly multitask, but humans cannot.  We can only switch between tasks very quickly to give the illusion of multitasking.  But in all reality, we are straining our concentration over too many things, and work quality suffers as well as the rate of forgetfulness increasing with the more tasks we try to handle.

Discussion
Using my computer is the only time I actually feel like I am multitasking.  I am not necessarily an easily distracted person, but I don’t fare well when I need to do multiple things at once without the aid of a computer.  When I am texting, I will usually tell a friend to hold on so I don’t miss what they are saying.  If I try to listen to them, not only will I not get everything they are saying, but I might make a mistake with my text message.  So, I always choose to do one or the other so I don’t blow off a conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment