Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Book Reading 34 – Opening Skinner’s Box

Chapter 10 – Chipped
Summary

The history of lobotomy was discussed and how this kind of work on the brain has developed over the years.  Two examples were also given.  One was in the early days of psychosurgery, and the other was quite recent and Slater witnessed the results herself.  Even if psychosurgery is still viewed skeptically by many people, it would seem that it has been perfected enough so as to fix the person’s mental issues while also not damaging their personality.

Discussion
Regardless of how proven these psychosurgery procedures are, I don’t know if I would ever be comfortable with anyone tampering with my brain.  It’s seems like far too complex of an organ to have a good enough guarantee of no damage being done.  I would have to be way far gone as a human in order to give it a try.  Otherwise, I would be terrified of losing some core part of myself and having my personality ruined forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment