Thursday, January 27, 2011

Book Reading 4 – HCI Remixed

Chapter 24 - A Simulated Listening Typewriter: John Gould Plays Wizard of Oz
Summary

The writer discussed early speech recognition software and the challenges that went along with it.  He also talked about the eve of the “Wizard of Oz” method of research testing.

Discussion
I remember awhile ago when talking and typing seemed like a big thing, but it seems to have virtually disappeared by now.  I think a lot of it has to do with how it’s more natural to write thoughts down through our hands than it is to speak them.  The way we piece together thoughts for writing and for speech seem different enough that this makes sense to me.


Chapter 25 - Seeing the Hole in Space
Summary

Hole in Space refers to an art project through telecommunications two people did.  It involved two communication spots very far away from each other in which people on both sides could see each other.  People reacted to strangers through this device more openly than they did with those strangers right next to them.

Discussion
This was a really impressive experiment.  It’s very interesting to hear about novel ideas from years ago that are now commonplace.  The Hole in Space from years ago is now today’s Skype or company videoconferencing meeting.


Chapter 26 - Edward Tufte’s 1 + 1 = 3
Summary

“1+1=3” is Tufte’s way of describing design clutter.  The writer of this chapter uses an example of the open and close buttons in an elevator.  By having the two buttons nearly identical in size and appearance, this caused unnecessary confusion when deciphering their functions in a split second.

Discussion
I’ve never quite looked at elevator buttons like this, but I have dealt with clutter before.  When I have had to count many similarly-sized objects in the past, my eyes can go crazy and lose my place.  I imagine this problem is similar to what the writer was trying to point out.


Chapter 27 - Typographic Space: A Fusion of Design and Technology
Summary

The writer started talking about the older state of printing text and graphics.  This then transitioned to kinetic typography and the experiments and uses of this technology.

Discussion
This seems like yet another valuable technology that is taken for granted today.  After she mentioned it, I realized how much this kinetic typography is used for atmosphere in TV shows and movies.  And to an extent, this is used in comic books and graphic novels for certain text, even though it is not in motion obviously.


Chapter 28 - Making Sense of Sense Making
Summary

Two issues were explained in this chapter.  One was the meaningful sorting of new information, and the other was making sense of this information.  Then the writer related these issues to today’s information age.

Discussion
I don’t think I have ever deleted an email from my Gmail account, but with good reason.  I never know when I might need something.  And if I do, I can search for it and it pops up.  I’ll admit that keeping old and useless files on a computer is wasteful, even if you have the space to spare.  But I hate wondering if I still have an email or file that I suddenly need.  I’d rather have the virtual clutter than run into this problem.


Chapter 34 - Revisiting an Ethnocritical Approach to HCI: Verbal Privilege and Translation
Summary

The writer started by explaining a bit of the history of Native Nations achieving sovereign state status after WWII.  He then explained how using HCI and thinking in ethnographical terms can help with ethics, politics, and epistemology.

Discussion
This reading was not as interesting as the others, at least to me.  I can see where he was going with it though.  Possibly some of the things I learn in this class can help me deal with ethical issues in the workforce.

No comments:

Post a Comment